Monday, May 8, 2017

My First Time Teaching!

Throughout everything that I have encountered this year at Mckenzie School as an intern, I have never been so nervous in my life! This week I was given the wonderful opportunity to teach Mrs. Carti's Second Grade class, even though I felt as if I was not ready for such a responsibility. I knew it was crucial to take on such an experience that will not only better my understanding on how to teach, but will benefit me overall in the long run.

I was given the lesson plans beforehand; the topic revolved around fractions (one lesson I don't remember learning about), and the teachers workbook addition had absolutely everything I needed to get across! Before teaching I even created dialogue, writing down everything I was going to say and ask and writing the children's responses! When I first walked to the front of the classroom, I was overcome with nervousness, but luckily the students made me feel right at home. I started the lesson by giving students an example about sharing an ice cream bar and cutting it right down the middle so that everyone would be happy with the piece that they obtained. From there I began doing some examples with them and then we worked on problems in the workbook. During the entire lesson, the students were absolutely quiet, no one was talking, and everyone was engaged. After I had finished some students came up to me and asked if I could teach math all the time! I was relieved! Yay to teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment